Vaping has evolved tremendously over the years, offering an array of options catering to both beginners and aficionados. This article delves deep into the diverse world of vaping, ensuring you make an informed choice.
This comprehensive guide from Higher Grade lays it all out, ensuring you make the most informed choice on your vaping journey. Take advantage of our deep knowledge and passion for all things vaping.
Vape Pens: The Entry-Level Choice
Resembling sleek pens, vape pens have become the popular choice for those initiating their vaping journey. Combining a tank, battery, and atomizer, they ensure a moderate vapor output with straightforward usage.
- Invest in a premium vape pen from reputable brands like Vaporesso to ensure durability, quality manufacturing, and overall better vaping experience. Cheaper pens may malfunction or deliver poor performance.
- Thoroughly read through the user manual to understand how to operate the device properly. Follow instructions on filling, priming, changing coils, and battery safety.
- Always prime new coils by adding a few drops of e-liquid directly on the cotton wick and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes. This ensures the cotton is fully saturated before the first puff, preventing dry hits.
- Take short 1-2 second gentle puffs instead of long drags. This allows the coil to properly vaporize the e-liquid, optimizing flavor. It also prevents overheating and burning of the coil.
Disposable Vapes: Convenience at its Best
Designed for simplicity, disposable vapes are pre-filled devices ready for use right out of the box. The rising popularity of brands like Elf Bars attests to their user-friendliness and diverse flavor profiles.
- No maintenance is required. Once the battery or e-liquid runs out, the entire device is disposed of.
- A wide variety of flavors are available like mango, cucumber, blueberry, strawberry, tobacco, menthol, and more. Great for new users to discover their preferences.
- Ideal for occasional, light, or social smokers looking for a substitute. The ease of use and affordable price makes disposable devices attractive.
Box Mods: For the Cloud Chasers
These sophisticated devices are for those who seek to elevate their vaping experience. With advanced features like adjustable wattage, temperature control, and sometimes even touch-screen interfaces, box mods offer the perfect blend of power and customization.
- Box mods house larger batteries than pens or pods. Many support multiple external 18650 batteries allowing for longer battery life.
- Users can precisely adjust wattage, temperature, airflow, and other settings as per their preferences using the menu controls.
- The versatility of box mods allows vapers to use them with different tanks, RDAs, and RTAs to change their experience.
Pod Systems: Compact and Trendy
With their portability, discreetness, and ease of use, pod systems have emerged as a favorite vaping method for many seasoned and new users alike. Pod systems come in both closed pre-filled pods as well as open refillable pods, offering a balanced experience of convenience and flavor.
- Many pods are designed for nicotine salts instead of freebase nicotine, providing a stronger and more satisfying throat hit similar to traditional cigarettes.
- Their smaller size and low vapor output make them very discreet and stealthy for vaping on-the-go.
- Most pod systems are designed to be highly intuitive with no complicated settings or maintenance. Simply switch out pods when empty.
Rebuildable Atomizers: The Expert’s Playground
These devices allow vapers to build their coils, tailoring resistance and wicking to their liking. This allows for a highly customized experience where users can tailor resistance, flavors, vapor production, and other aspects. They are available in various forms like RDAs (drip atomizers) and RTAs (rebuildable tank atomizers).
- Building your own coils and wicking allows vapers to fine-tune their vape as per their preferences. Everything from resistance to heating can be customized.
- Since coils are buildable rather than replaceable, it is much more economical in the long run. Users save on the recurring cost of coil replacements.
- RBAs require advanced knowledge of coil building, Ohm’s law, and battery safety precautions. They are geared towards expert vapers.
Vapor Styles Decoded
The inhalation technique used while vaping can drastically affect the experience. Understanding the main styles is important:
- Mouth To Lung (MTL): This technique involves gently drawing vapor into the mouth first and then inhaling into the lungs. MTL tanks have tighter airflow and lower power output, closely replicating the feeling of smoking a cigarette.
- Direct To Lung (DTL): Here, vapor is directly inhaled into the lung without holding in the mouth first. This produces much more voluminous clouds compared to MTL. Sub-ohm tanks and rebuildable atomizers like RDAs typically cater to the direct lung technique.
- Restricted Direct To Lung (RDL): As the name suggests, RDL offers a middle ground between MTL and DTL. It provides a slightly more open and airy draw than MTL but is more restricted compared to full DTL hits. RDL caters to vapers looking for a balanced experience.
Vape Kits: We’re Just Getting Started
From the early days of simple e-cigarettes to today’s advanced systems, vaping devices have seen a remarkable evolution. Technological advancements have resulted in devices that are more efficient, safer, and customizable. Today’s average vape kit is now much more exciting than before it started.
The First Generation (2007-2010)
- Basic e-cigarettes like the Ruyan e-cig aimed to visually replicate tobacco cigarettes. They consisted of a small battery and cartridge with e-liquid. Performance was limited and reliability was poor.
The Second Generation (2010-2015)
- New models like the eGo e-cig improved performance with larger batteries, tanks, and coils. More options became available but devices were still relatively basic.
The Rise of Pod Systems (2015-2018)
- Sleek, user-friendly pod systems like the JUUL and Suorin Air emerged. Their simplicity and nicotine salt e-liquids fueled massive popularity. New pod devices entered the market rapidly.
The Era of Versatility (2018-Present)
- Open systems like the Uwell Caliburn combined power and pods. Advanced pod mods emerged like the Voopoo Drag X for customization. Prefilled nic salt pods like Vuse Alto became convenient.
- Disposables like Elf Bar and Puff Bar dominated for their simplicity. A federal ban on flavored pods followed. High-power devices appeared for cloud chasing. Squonk mods reemerged for their convenience.
- Lower nicotine formulas were introduced to prevent dependence. Rechargeable, Bluetooth-connected disposables added functionality. More compact, discreet devices emerged as vaping bans spread. Marketing shifted toward young adult smokers. Innovation continues with a focus on customization and stealth.
Popular Vape Brands
This leading brand produces affordable yet high-quality box mods, vape pens, pod systems, and more. Top choices include the Cool Fire IV and Proton mods.
Ideal for beginners, Vaporesso makes user-friendly vape mods and tanks like the Revenger and NRG. Smooth performance.
Aspire offers a wide range from beginner vape pens to advanced box mods. Their Nautilus tank line is legendary.
Vape Brands We Carry at Higher Grade
We carry Innokin, Vaporesso, and Aspire, along with these other brands:
This ultra-popular brand offers a huge selection of delicious all day vape e-juice flavors inspired by favorite breakfast foods and spreads. Indulge your sweet tooth with flavors like strawberry jam, blueberry jam, and apple butter. Their juices have a smooth, creamy base with authentic fruit jam flavors.
With a wide variety of fruit, dessert, candy, and drink-inspired flavors, Twist E-liquids has something for every vaper. They use only high-quality ingredients for nuanced, layered flavors like Melon Dew, Pink Punch Lemonade, and Caramel Waffle Cone. Known for their authentic flavor renditions of sweet treats.
This diverse e-liquid brand offers tobacco vape juice blends along with creamy custards, rich desserts, sweet candies, and fresh fruits. They use USP-grade kosher ingredients for smooth, flavorful, high-VG vape juice. Try flavors like Cinnaroo, Sherbie, Apple Jax, and Streak.
For a truly premium vaping experience, LYF’s e-liquids deliver. Complex recipes like Creme Brulee, Vanilla Bourbon, Prohibition, and Blackberry Cream showcase gourmet flavor notes. Their max VG blends produce big clouds. Made in the USA.
With unique flavor profiles like Mint Matcha Latte, Passion Orange Guava, and Blueberry Cake, Propaganda E-Liquid continually pushes boundaries. They use only premium ingredients for smooth, layered flavors with exotic twists. Creative, tasty vape juice.
Inspired by 1940’s pin-up model art, Pinup e-liquids feature retro-style packaging and classic flavors with a modern twist. Indulge with flavors like Betty (strawberry cheesecake), Marilyn (lemon cake), and Sophia (tiramisu). Fun vintage vibe.
Choosing a Vape
When it comes to choosing a vape setup that’s right for you, there are a few key factors to consider:
Type of Vape
First, decide if you want a vape mod and tank system, an all-in-one pod system, or a disposable vape.
- Vape mods offer the most customization and power. Tanks provide huge vapor production. But there is a learning curve.
- Pod systems are portable and easy to use. Just pop in a pod and vape. Great for new vapers or a stealth device. More limited vapor production.
- Disposable vapes like Elf Bars offer convenience. No charging or refilling needed. But ongoing costs add up over time.
Power and Settings
If you opt for a vape mod, consider how much power you need. Beginners and mouth-to-lung vapers may only need up to 80W. Direct lung vapers may want 100W to 200W for big vapor production.
Temperature control, variable wattage/voltage, and other advanced settings allow you to fine-tune your vape. Or stick to basic wattage mode if you want something simple.
Vape Juices or E-Liquids
Your e-liquid preferences will also guide your setup. Nicotine salts and higher nic strengths suit low-power pod vapes for tighter MTL hits. Lower nic and max VG juices work best with high wattage for big direct lung vapor.
Consider flavors too. Bakery or candy e-liquids may suit your tastes better than fruity or icy menthol options.
Design and Ergonomics
Look for a vape that feels good in your hand and is easy to use. Pay attention to the shape, weight, button placement, and screen layout.
Try out different devices in person if possible to get a feel for them. Don’t buy something sight unseen if ergonomics are important to you.
Finally, set a budget. Quality vape mods can be found affordably under $100. Mid-range options run $100 to $200. Advanced gear and high-end mods can cost over $200.
Consider extras like batteries, chargers, coils and e-liquid costs too when budgeting. An affordable device won’t be so cheap long-term if it guzzles e-juice and expensive coils!
Let us know if you have any other questions! Our vape experts are happy to guide you towards the perfect vape devices and setups for you.
Maintenance: Prolonging Your Vaping Experience
Regular upkeep ensures the longevity of your vaping device:
Regular cleaning of tanks, drip tips, and connections prevents build-up of juice residue which can hinder performance.
Coils gradually wear out with use. Replacing them per the recommended timeline ensures optimal flavor and vapor.
Batteries should be stored safely, and charged properly per guidelines, and old batteries replaced rather than mixed with new ones.
Navigating the Vape Market with Higher Grade
With the myriad of options available, choosing the right device can be daunting. At Higher Grade, our team is dedicated to assisting you in navigating this landscape. Whether you’re a novice or a pro, our curated collection ensures you find your perfect match. Dive into our vast array of devices, e-liquids, and accessories – and elevate your vaping journey!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Vaping is generally considered less harmful than smoking. By heating e-liquid instead of burning tobacco, vaping avoids most of the carcinogenic byproducts created in cigarette smoke. Vaping may help smokers quit or reduce cigarette consumption.
Vaping is not risk-free, but it is estimated to be significantly less harmful than smoking cigarettes. The long-term effects of vaping are still being researched. Avoiding exploding batteries and using reputable e-liquids can help minimize any risks. Always make sure you get your vape device from a trusted retailer.
Vaping laws and regulations vary between countries and local jurisdictions. In the US, the FDA regulates e-cigarettes and vapes. The sale of vapes and e-liquids to minors is prohibited. Things like flavors and nicotine levels may be restricted in certain areas.
Many ex-smokers have successfully switched to vaping. The customizable nicotine levels allow for a gradual reduction. However, vaping alone may not be enough to fully quit for some long-term smokers. Consulting a doctor is recommended.
Degraded flavor, increased popping/gurgling sounds, darker e-liquid color, and reduced vapor production are signs your coil may need replacing. Refer to the coil’s recommended lifespan.
With heavy daily use, vape batteries typically last 4-6 months before needing replacement. Lithium-ion batteries lose efficiency over time. Replace batteries that get damaged or stop holding adequate charge.
PG provides more throat hit while VG produces bigger clouds. 50/50 blends are good for beginners. MTL vapers may prefer 60VG/40PG. Sub-ohm DL vapers usually prefer 70VG/30PG or max VG ratios.
For best flavor and performance, clean your tank every 1-2 weeks. Disassemble the tank, rinse all parts with warm water, and dry fully. Cleaning helps prevent e-liquid buildup.
Mechanical mods have no internal safety features. Users need knowledge of Ohm’s law, coil builds, and battery safety to prevent issues like shorts which can be dangerous. Regulated mods are safer.
A burnt taste usually indicates the coil needs to be replaced. It means the cotton wick is scorched. Drawing too hard, low e-liquid level or high wattage settings can burn coils prematurely.
Signs of a failing vape battery include not holding charge as long, taking longer to charge fully, not powering device properly, overheating, and swelling or damage to the battery casing. Batteries should be replaced immediately if damaged.
Look for shops with a wide selection, good prices, fast shipping, and excellent customer service. Check reviews and community forums for feedback. Beware shops selling fake/clone vape products.
Vaping laws are location-specific. Some treat vaping like smoking. Others allow vaping unless a venue opts to prohibit it. Check local regulations before vaping in public indoor settings. Outdoor vaping is usually permitted.